The Kearny Statue is in the south end of Military Park. It was sculpted by H. K. Brown. The bronze life size figure shows the general leaning on his sword. Granite base inscribed "KEARNY." On obverse of pedestal: "Philip Kearny, Major General United States Volunteers. Born June 2, 1815. Killed in Battle at Chantilly, VA, September 1, 1862. On reverse: "Erected by Authority of the State of New Jersey, A. D. 1880." Tablet on west side of pedestal inscribed: "In Memoriam. Presented by the Italians of Newark, N. J. 1911."
From the New Jersey Historical Society:
The statue of General Phillip Kearny was unveiled in 1880. It was moved in 1925 due to the installation of the Wars of America monument (1926).
|Copyright 1998 - 2019 Glenn G. Geisheimer|